In response to feedback to the Culture 2020 consultation that took place earlier this year, Lambeth Council is considering changes to the proposals for Durning Library and Tate South Lambeth Library. It is really important that you give your views so that the Durning Library can have a good future. Please take part in the consultation directly or let your local councillors know what you think. A rapidly growing population in North Lambeth means the Council still aims to open a new purpose built library facility in the north of the borough by 2022.
A temporary North Lambeth town centre facility would stay open until the new facility is ready. It was originally proposed that the Tate South Lambeth Library would become this temporary town centre library. We also proposed the withdrawal of all council funding from the Durning Library and asked for proposals from independent organisations for using the building differently.
It was clear that if no alternatives were identified during the Culture 2020 consultation then the Durning Library was at risk of closure. The Council has now had the opportunity to reflect on the consultation feedback and are considering changes to what was originally proposed. We would like to hear your views before taking a final decision.
The new proposals are as follows:
1. Durning Library building:
- becomes the temporary town centre library for North Lambeth until the new facility is open
- continues to receive revenue funding while it is the temporary town centre library - increases opening times from 39 to 54 hours per week
- £800,000 investment to improve accessibility and facilities for temporary library and increase possibilities for longer term future of the building
2. Tate South Lambeth Library building:
- undergoes building works during 2016 to become a healthy living centre
- includes health and wellbeing activities, alongside a limited library service and other community services - extends its opening to 70 hours per week
- the building will be managed by Greenwich Leisure Ltd and the neighbourhood library service will be managed by Lambeth Council
The consultation will run from Tuesday 24 November to Monday 21 December.
You can respond:
- online at https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=144785709122
- by picking up a questionnaire from either of the libraries. These can be completed and returned at the libraries, or you can send them to us via Freepost RTTG-SZLT-RCZJ, Lambeth Council, Durning and Tate South Lambeth Libraries Consultation, 3rd floor, Olive Morris House, 18 Brixton Hill, London SW2 1RD
There will also be drop-in sessions at each of the libraries where you can come along to speak to someone in person.